Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Seventh Circle of Hell (AKA My Week Without the Internet): Part I and II

I have recently come to the conclusion that I may be a bit of a web addict.

This realisation hit me after I calculated that upon a quick jaunt to Coles for some frozen dinner type meal, the reason my eyes were burning in reaction to the sunlight was because I hadn't left my study for 4 days. As a result, I have decided to see how much I actually rely on the internet to provide me with a day of entertainment and time wastage. I will start this little test on waking Monday 15th June and will not come back to the net until waking Monday 22nd June, which is when I will regale you with my no doubt horrific tale of a non-cyper life.

I have come up with the following guidelines for myself, just to keep things honest;

THE RULES
1. The only time I am able to use the internet is to check up on my article pitches for cracked.com. This could be a paying gig and I don’t want to miss out on income just because of a self imposed experiment. Email checking and Centrelink encouraged job searches, on the other hand, will fall by the wayside.

2. The term “internet free” includes no use of iPhones, no use of mobiles with web access and no peering over the shoulder of a strange computer user at the local city council library.

3. Alternative forms of lazy and unproductive behavior is allowed. Couch surfing and TV watching are in fact encouraged.


UPDATE: Read on for the traumatising tale of my internet free week.....

It sure does.


Not pictured: A current TV guide.

This is what happened to the last adult who made it all the way through reading Twilight.


No comments:

Post a Comment