Saturday, June 6, 2009

My Programming Week: An Analysis of the Hot Guys That Shape My TV Viewing

Much like that skeazy middle aged drunk guy that leers at you from the end of the bar on a quiet Tuesday night down at your local, my motivations for most of life’s menial decisions fall to how much eye candy I’m going to get to see that night. And in the lonely world of the single girl above the age of 25, I have resigned myself to the fact that I now stay in with the television for company rather than thrust my once young, nubile body around a dance floor for hours on end. It is with this in mind that I share with you my list of reasons to be happy that you now live the suburban couch-bound married life - without actually being married, or living in the suburbs….

MONDAY NIGHTS
SUPERNATURAL
Nothing better eases the pain of Mondayitus than a deeply intellectual panel show discussing the merits of tax reform and the financial state of third world countries, hosted by some turtleneck wearing professor type with no semblance of at least one of the over 9000 types of sex appeal out in the world today. Just kidding.

The actual cure for a bout of the Mondays is a cup of hot lemon honey tea, a nice warm snuggle under a duvet with a toasty water bottle and two hot brothers who spend their time driving around the US battling demons, ghosts and chicks with really bad collagen lip injections.

THE CANDY
If I am being entirely honest, Sam and his floppy haired cuteness do nothing for my ovaries. But give me Dean’s handsome ruggedness and that 3 pack-a-day smoker’s growl………………………Oh, sorry folks, drifted off for just a second there.

Sam is the pretty one moping in the background.

SELL IT TO ME BABY
I’ve only recently caught onto this show, most likely because there used to be something better on, but I have already seen enough shirtlessness and sex with angels to last me more than a few lonely nights.

BONUS POINTS
Behold….

I think I just simultaneously past out and jizzed my pants.....

HONOURARY MENTION: GOOD NEWS WEEK
I am a lucky girl on the occasion that a good looking guy springs up on GNW, particularly if they are one of those hot/funny comedian types (example - Wil Anderson). And if the genetically blessed talent is missing from the panel, we’ll always have that cute little elf known as Paul McDermott (shout out to my fellow high school crushee Maryanne!).

MORAL OF THE STORY
I never really used to dig blondes, but now I do. BIG TIME.

TUESDAY NIGHTS
LIPSTICK JUNGLE
It’s like the poor, discount designer warehouse shopping cousin of Sex and The City. And while it may not get the manic following of Carrie and the girls, what it lacks in cult like status it sure makes up for with way, WAY better looking men….

THE CANDY
The fact that Kim Raver’s character Nico gets to rub her fine self up against the man/demigod that is Kirby just makes me ache to be a hot 40 year old cougar already.

Do you have any idea how hard it was to find a picture of Robert Buckley with his shirt on?

SELL IT TO ME BABY
The fact that he spends 98% of the show looking like this…..

BONUS POINTS
Need I reiterate? Oh, what the hell….


HONOURARY MENTION: TALKIN’ ABOUT YOUR GENERATION
While they haven’t had anyone I would consider hot man meat just yet, I have high hopes for this show. The combination of humor, a quiz show format and the potential for up to three generations of hotness at any one time could lead to some very exciting, not to mention stimulating, Tuesday nights in.

MORAL OF THE STORY
Being a middle aged woman in the fine city of Brisbane will get you two cats, a hairline of greys and a public servant job at your local city council library. Being a middle aged woman in the fine city of New York will get you Robert Buckley. Shirtless. Most of the time.

WEDNESDAY NIGHTS
LOST
Lost is one of those shows that plot points get so maddening that you almost want to switch the damn thing off so you can go outside for some much needed fresh air and Rickets reducing sunshine. Then you realise that there is a virtual buffet of hotness on offer, so you gladly muck through the unresolved mysteries and retarded plot twists.

On a related point, if I were ever stranded on a desert island, my top three items for survival in order of importance would be – sex with Jack, sex with Sawyer and then sex with that Irish guy (but only if they other two have died some tragic, most likely mysterious, death).

SELL IT TO ME BABY
Wow, Matthew Fox sure bounced back from Party of Five…..

He’s not the only one who’s wet right now.

BONUS POINTS
If your sexual appetite is so insatiable that the wet t-shirt picture didn’t do it for you, here’s one minus the shirt….

You have no idea how laborious it is looking up these images.

HONOURARY MENTION: SPICKS AND SPECKS Spicks and Specks is much the same as GNW in that it usually offers up nothing particularly outstanding but occasionally you get yourself a prime hottie. It also has the cute, likeable and non-threatening host in the form of the unbelievably sweet Adam Hills.

MORAL OF THE STORY Matthew “Foxy” Fox, may you never be long haired or clean shaven again.

THURSDAY NIGHTS
POINTLESS
This is the night of the week were I just give up on the shite fest that is free-to-air television to go late night shopping instead. Is it too much for a 25 year old pre-spinster to ask for a full SEVEN nights of man candy? Or even semi-decent programming?

FRIDAY NIGHTS
LAW AND ORDER
Remember in high school when Clueless came out and we all wanted to be Cher with her automated wardrobe, huge mansion and the sweetly cute Paul Rudd as a stepbrother? What us girls wouldn’t have given for an awkward boob grope from Elton on the way home from a mad party in the Val. Jeremy Sisto was the crush of choice for those of us who were mature enough to move on from the all American smugness that was JTT.

THE CANDY
While he may have put on the podge over the years and sports a beard to rival a basement dwelling 35 year old who still lives with his parents and only washes twice a month, it’s the fact that he brings back so much nostalgia that gets me tuning in to what is otherwise a tedious two hours of back to back episodes.

SELL IT TO ME BABY
Hey, a girl can’t help but fall for someone so vaguely ethnic.

Seriously dude, you used to be the clean cut pin up boy of our teenage years.

Not to mention, he played fucking Jesus.

BONUS POINTS Because I suspect that a shirtless shot of present day Jeremy might mean I would lose that loving feeling, I present Jeremy Sisto, circa 2003….

Did I just turn back into my 14 year old self for a quick minute?

HONOURARY MENTION: LAW AND ORDER
I know I might be a seedy pervert but two hours on any given day is more than enough.

SATURDAY NIGHTS
LIMITED ONLY BY YOUR IMAGINATION
Saturday night viewing is at the very low rent discretion of the powers that be over at 7, 9 and 10 but us girls can hold out hope for at least one tolerable movie with an attractive man in it, or at best, some kind of sporting event.

THE CANDY
Hopefully, any one of the following….

Or ideally, all three at once.

SELL IT TO ME BABY No seriously, can we start on a movie with all three of those pieces of hot in it….?

BONUS POINTS I think I nearly self combust researching this one.

Google image search is my new god.

HONOURARY MENTION: ANY SPORTING EVENT INVOLVING DAVID BECKHAM Enough said.

MORAL OF THE STORY
If the networks won’t give you what you want, time to pay Blockbuster a visit.

SUNDAY NIGHTS
BONES
I don’t really appreciate the way they manage to frequently make up Emily Deschanel to the point that she looks like she has just returned from a three day tequila bender, and most of the other cast I can’t stand, but it is a smart show with one very big reason for watching (hint: it's David Boreanaz). Also, would those two just get it on already!

THE CANDY
After what could have potentially been a disappointing Saturday night, it’s good to know we can round out the week with a good old fashion vampire perv. And no, I’m not talking about Robert Pattison or any other of those Twilight pre-teens.

SELL IT TO ME BABY
May I present the hotness formerly known as Angel, now Agent Booth, he of the sexy scowl and permanent serious expression.

You see? He’s got the brood in a bad way.

BONUS POINTS

H. O. L. Y. S. H. I. T

HONOURARY MENTION: CASTLE I haven’t yet watched Chanel 7’s new show Castle, but I was excited to see the reappearance of former Two Guys, A Girl and A Pizza Place hottie, Nathan Fillion. And in a beautiful occurrence of hot guy poetry, he just so happened to have shown his face in Buffy the Vampire as well.

MORAL OF THE STORY
Hot guys without shirts are hot. Hot guys without shirts submerged in baths of water are even hotter.

No comments:

Post a Comment